What values drive Hartford’s approach to climate? Our shared values are public health, economic development, and social equity.
Social equity, also known as environmental justice, means ensuring that all people have access to a clean environment and a resilient community. Addressing climate change in Hartford will improve the lives of the residents of Hartford and promote equity across the city. Our vision for a more environmentally just future:
- Everyone in Hartford is engaged in all aspects of this Climate Action Plan, from planning to implementation.
- All residents of Hartford, including those who lack access to adequate heat or air conditioning in their homes, have access to shelters and emergency facilities during flooding, excess snow and ice, and heat waves.
- Every neighborhood in Hartford offers a superior quality of life, regardless of average household income.
- All residents have access to vibrant mixed-use corridors of opportunity, whether they walk, bike, take public transportation, or drive a car.
- Hartford’s now-capped landfill is re-imagined as a usable community amenity.