The City of Hartford is seeking a full-time Sustainability Coordinator to develop and administer programs and initiatives related to environmental stewardship at the local level. The Sustainability Coordinator will work with various public and private stakeholders on activities to combat the adverse effects of climate change on Hartford. Throughout the 22-month, grant-funded position, the Sustainability Coordinator will report to the Chief of Staff in the Office of the Mayor.
Hartford seeks a Sustainability Coordinator in the context of its rigorous, comprehensive climate resiliency effort – the Climate Stewardship Initiative (CSI) – which aims to improve our quality of life through environmental stewardship, while advancing our economy, improving public health outcomes, and promoting social equity. Through the CSI, Hartford has collaborated with corporations, private foundations, and state and federal government agencies to make significant strides in a number of areas. More information about these initiatives is available a http://www.hartford.gov/climate.
A Sustainability Coordinator would help Hartford build on this strong coalition, and not only respond to threats of climate change, but also strategize proactively for the future.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The Sustainability Coordinator will:
- Manage the process of drafting and finalizing a climate action plan for the City
- Initiate, manage, and coordinate a variety of sustainability-related projects in and among different City departments, including the Departments of Development Services and Public Works, and the Hartford Public Schools
- Monitor performance of environmental management and sustainability initiatives
- Develop and maintain relationships with public and private stakeholders interested in contributing to sustainability activities
- Identify and pursue funding sources including federal, state, and private funds to support sustainability programs and initiatives
- Monitor sustainability-related changes in local, state, and federal law and policy
- Maintain channels of publicity (including website and social media) on the City’s sustainability initiatives
- Advise the Mayor and other City officials on sustainability issues
- Attend, hold, and initiate city and community meetings on sustainability issues
- Oversee the work of the Green Infrastructure Specialist
- Liaise with the funders of the grant for the Sustainability Coordinator position.
The above essential duties and responsibilities are not intended as a comprehensive list; they are intended to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities. Incumbent(s) may be required to perform additional related duties.
- Bachelor’s Degree in science, sustainability, urban planning, architecture, public policy, law, or related fields
- Ability to communicate clearly and work closely with officials, city residents, the business community, environmental groups, and other stakeholders
- Ability to maintain projects and meet deadlines
- Excellent analytical and research skills
- Demonstrated ability to conduct public engagement activities
- Graduate Degree in science, sustainability, urban planning, architecture, public policy, law, or related fields
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in coordinating environment-related projects
- Salary up to $90,000/year, based on experience, with possibility of City benefits
- This position is in the unclassified service, and incumbent is appointed and serves at the pleasure of the Mayor in accordance with Chapters IV and V of the City Charter.
Interested applicants should send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.