We realize that can’t keep up with all of Hartford’s environment-focused events, including all of the regularly scheduled park concerts, farmers’ markets, and street fairs that take advantage of summer! But here are a handful in the second half of the month for you to consider attending:
- August 1, 8, 15, 22, 29: Get your grocery shopping done at the West End Farmers Market on Clemens Green (385 Farmington Avenue) every Tuesday, 4-7 pm.
- August 7, 11, 14, and 18: KNOX’s inaugural Frog Hollow Farmers Market: purchase vegetables, herbs, fruits, and more grown right on-site here in Hartford by the farmers in KNOX’s Incubator Farm.
- August 8: West End Farmers Market Community organizer Chris Pressley will give a talk at 7 pm titled “Why Growing Your Own Food is a Revolutionary Act: A Primer for the Hartford Backyard Gardeners Club.” Start mingling at 6 (or before), This Green Drinks is alcohol-free due to the nature of the venue. No need to register; just show up! Free.
- August 9, 16, 23, 30: Riverfront Recapture partnered with Hartford Sweat to bring free yoga to the riverfront! Yoga will be taking place every Wednesday night this month. Stretch and strengthen your body and mind in this class designed to link movement with breath, allowing you to unwind and connect.
- August 10: From 5-8 p.m, the KNOW GOOD Market, featuring some local products and food trucks, pops up at 30 Bartholomew Avenue.
- August 18: EnergizeCT Family Water Energy Activity: Discover how water travels through our natural habitats and water’s energy through fun, hands-on activities. Light refreshments will be served. Will take place from 2-4pm in the Energize Connecticut Center.
- August 19: From 10:00 a.m.-3 p.m., the Environmental Justice/Health Equity Forum takes place in Whitneyville Cultural Commons in Hamden, CT.
- August 30: HYPE Terrarium Night with KNOX: Registration closes on August 28th for this, so don’t wait until the last minute! They say: “Get close to nature with our Social Events Committee and a night in the KNOX Inc. greenhouse! This workshop will provide you with everything you need to build your own terrarium including a glass container, soil, and a variety of different succulent plants. This takes place at KNOX (75 Laurel Street) in the greenhouse. $30 general; $20 for HYPE members.
- Looking Toward September: Applications are now being received for the 2017 Yale Sustainability Leadership Forum, which will take place on September 13-15 at Yale University. This intensive three-day program takes a broad-gauge look at sustainability as a megatrend of the 21st century. The Forum will cover a range of cutting-edge issues related to sustainability including climate change, carbon pricing, emerging sustainability science, corporate sustainability strategies, sustainability metrics, ESG (Environment/Social/Governance) investing, new trends in land conservation, and industrial ecology. Taught in highly interactive modules by top Yale faculty members and leading practitioners, participants can expect to have exposure to a wide spectrum of views and to engage in lively conversations with others from across the public and private sectors, including government officials, business leaders, teachers, communications professionals, and policy experts.