Fall is here, and it is prime time to take a walk in the great outdoors. This month the iQuilt Innovation Center is celebrating Walktober, a series of over a dozen different walks around Hartford. Each walking tour will be led by a knowledgeable guide who will highlight a unique part of the city, so make sure to go to as many as you can.
Below is a sampling of the various walks offered this month. For a full description of the walks, visit the iQuilt Plan website.
- October 16, 27, 30 @12PM: Take the Coltsville Walk and stroll past the various signature buildings found around the Coltsville National Historic District, such as the East Armory with its notable blue dome.
- Meeting Location: the Hooker Brewery Patio in Colt Gateway (140 Huyshope Avenue)
- October 12, 19, 26 @12PM: Want a great view? Try out the Tour of Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Arch in Bushnell Park, and you’ll see the park from above in all its glory.
- Meeting Location: the Memorial Arch in Bushnell Park
- October 11 @ 12PM: For the tree lovers, take the Lunch Time Tree Walk, where you’ll get to see some of Bushnell Park’s most magnificent trees.
- Meeting Location: the Carousel in Bushnell Park
- October 14 @ 10AM: Cedar Hill’s Exceptional Women tour recognizes some of the great women in Cedar Hill Cemetery. Learn about the incredible impacts these women had on both Connecticut and worldwide advancement. $5 admission.
- October 18 @ 10AM: Take a walk down memory lane on the Discover Cedar Hill Walk, where you’ll learn about the remarkable achievements of some of Cedar Hill’s most fascinating residents. $5 admission.
- October 20, 22 from 10AM – 3PM: Ride a shuttle bus around town and see some of the great parks and sights the city has to offer. Each day will feature a number of different sites around town, so sign up for both days to see them all. Reservations required. Call 860-296-6128 for more information.
- Meeting Location: Tangier’s Market parking lot (550 Farmington Avenue)
- October 27 from 6-9PM: Nighttime shenanigans are in full swing with the Hallowed History Lantern Tour. Be prepared to raise your eyebrows as character actors share astonishing tales of local residents. Reservations are required, and there’s a $15 admission fee. Book your slot now by calling 860-956-3311.
- October 31 @12PM: Get into the Halloween spirit with the Murder and Mayhem Tour; it’ll chill your bones to hear the true stories of mystery, history, and horror found in Asylum Hill.
- Meeting Location: 55 Farmington Avenue (Corner of Flower and Farmington)
Photo: Bushnell Park