This 2019-2020 winter season has had an early start, with a heavy snowstorm hitting the state a few weeks ago. As the cold weather continues, be prepared for intense weather by following the CT Prepares winter weather guidelines. Below is a summary of the actions you can take to stay safe.
- Know your emergency numbers
- Call 911
- Have an “ICE” (In Case of Emergency) contact in your and your family members’ phones
- Make a plan for your family to follow in times of emergency
- Prepare an emergency kit with food and supplies to last you a few days without electricity or phone service
- Winterize your vehicle, by keeping your gas tank half full, having a emergency kit in the car, and making sure to keep your exhaust pipe clear to avoid fume buildup
- If you have pets, bring them indoors away from the cold.
- Know how to turn off the electricity, gas, and water in your home. This is critical should pipes burst or wires come down.
- CT Alerts is a statewide emergency notification system. Sign up to receive critical updates during emergencies.
- Hartford’s Emergency Alert Program lets you get local emergency updates by text, phone calls, emails, or more.
- 211 is the state’s informational services hotline. Call 2-1-1 to learn about housing assistance, tax preparation, and much more.
- CTPrepares Mobile App is consolidates emergency notifications from CT Alerts while also being able to contact family members and have access to emergency preparation guides and weather information.
Stay safe this season by following these winter weather tips and strategies. Wishing everyone a happy and safe holiday!