For what you can do as an individual or business, please see our “What Can You Do?” page. The following are external resources, gathered here for convenience only, to provide additional background information on the topic of waste in Hartford:
- MIRA Unveils Connecticut’s First Landfill Based Solar Array: Details regarding the award-winning solar energy-generating facility constructed by the CT Materials Innovation & Recycling Authority atop the capped Hartford Landfill.
- Recycle Together – Hartford City Profile: Overview of some of the recycling programs implemented in the City of Hartford in recent years.
- Hartford’s High Cost of Mattress Disposal (2011): A comprehensive case study on the cost of mattress disposal in Hartford, which justified Hartford’s award-winning mattress disposal program that was implemented statewide.
- State, Hartford Pondering Future of Trash-To-Energy Plant (2016): A look into the future of Hartford’s aging trash-to-energy plant in South Meadows.
- Trashion Fashion: A fashion show, started in Hartford, features clothes made entirely of trash and raises awareness about reduction of waste through creative solutions.
- Evolution of the Environmental Justice Movement in Hartford, CT: Case study examining the role of the EPA’s Urban Environmental Initiative and community partners in combatting years of environmental injustice and improving the quality of the environment for Hartford residents.
- Yale Team Study of Wood Resources from Hartford Parks (2010): A study reviewing financial and community options for revenue sources from available parkland timber.
- 2016 Comprehensive Materials Management Strategy – The Connecticut Statewide Solid Waste Management Plan: Roadmap to achieving the state’s goal of 60% diversion of materials from the waste stream by 2024.
- Connecticut Resources Recovery Authority Resource Links: Sample of valuable resources regarding solid waste management.
- Reduce/Reuse/Recycle: DEEP’s list of resources to promote a vision of waste reduction, reuse, and recycling. Useful list of related topics is located at the bottom of the page.
- Information about the CT Materials Innovation & Recycling Authority facilities: Website provides information about regional resources located in Hartford, including a single-stream recycling facility and a resource recovery facility.
- RecycleCT: State-chartered fund that combines public and private resources to support the state’s recycling goals, including the doubling of the statewide recycling rate by 2024.