For what you can do as an individual or business, please see our “What Can You Do?” page. The following are external resources, gathered here for convenience only, to provide additional background information on the topic of water in Hartford:
- Metropolitan District Commission Clean Water Project: Overview of stormwater overflow issues facing the City of Hartford and the projects that are being implemented by the MDC to combat them.
- Riverfront Recapture: Organization dedicated to improving central Connecticut’s quality of life and urban vitality through cultural events, entertainment, group sports and recreation in a welcoming environment along the banks of the Connecticut River, as well as ongoing efforts to protect and maintain the Riverfront and make more of it accessible to the public.
- Park Watershed: Organization that aims to improve the Park River regional watershed through community engagement, scientific research, and ecological revitalization, which has overseen a management plan and land use review for the North Branch of the Park River.
- Metropolitan District Commission Presentation on Green Infrastructure Opportunities (2016): MDC report on the opportunities and challenges of implementing green infrastructure.
- Feds Rate Condition of Hartford’s Levees And Flood Control System As ‘Unacceptable’(2015): Article outlining the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers recent evaluation of the Hartford flood-control system.
- The Park River: History of Hartford’s Park River, provided by the Bushnell Park Foundation.
- Hartford – A City On The River (2014): Article offering a brief history of Hartford’s relationship with the Connecticut River over the centuries.
- CT Department of Energy & Environmental Protection Green Infrastructure Resources: Website from state agency highlighting green infrastructure, including presentations on state projects involving green roofs, rain gardens, rainwater harvesting, and pervious pavement.
- CT Department of Energy & Environmental Protection Water Resources: Website from state agency with links to municipal wastewater resources, non-point source pollution management, volunteer monitoring, and more.
- Metropolitan District Commission Report on Water Quality (2015): MDC’s yearly report regarding water quality standards, which is required by state and federal regulations.
- ConnecticutRiver.us: Information on the Connecticut River, including a list of recent studies and research.
- Connecticut River Watershed Council: Organization devoted to protecting the Connecticut River from source to sea. See Annual Report 2015.