Skip to content
- A Robust Tree Ordinance: A city law aims to maintain and expand Hartford’s urban forest and establishes a Tree Commission to advise public officials and others on how best to do so.
- Increased Tree Canopy: Since 2012, the City of Hartford has planted 1,000 trees each year, and the tree canopy now covers 25.1% of the city.
- Robust Community Organizations: Working together with the City Park & Recreation Advisory Commission, groups like the Friends of Colt Park, Bushnell Park Foundation, Friends of Keney Park, and Elizabeth Park Conservancy raise awareness and provide private support to our public parks.
- Successful Public-Private Partnership at the Connecticut River: The partnership between Riverfront Recapture (nonprofit), City of Hartford, and the Metropolitan District Commission to revitalize the Riverfront has earned national recognition.
- New Zoning Prioritizes Green Space & Wildlife Habitats: In 2016, Hartford’s award-winning zoning code was revised to strengthen tree canopy coverage requirements, establish waterway buffers, and increase the amount of pervious coverage.